Yes, we did. We took the bait and our faces are still red even though it has been 60 minutes since published. Russell Brand is NOT dead; neither he nor Jim Carrey before him, also at the same ski resort in Switzerland, were in a snowboarding accident. We are VERY happy the news was false.
We decided to do a little digging about celebrity death hoaxes and see what popped up. Imagine our surprise when we found out half of Hollywood would be gone if all were to be believed. Let’s see what’s happened in just the last few months:
Image by littlebookofsecrets.com
- Reese Witherspoon apparently had been stabbed to death. Oh, but wait…she also died of natural causes. Poor Reese has been “stabbed to death” twice before, in 2006 and again in 2010.
- Taylor Swift was found dead at her residence according to a fake “MTV NEWS” tweet.
- Mariah Carey, in June, RIP. Started by fake “CNNnews” twitter account and being falsely retweeted to look as if by legit sources.
- Montel Jordan by the very same methods as Mariah
- In April, Usher had a tragic car accident, to which Usher responded by tweeting a photograph of himself with the message: “I must’ve died and went to heaven…Alive and cold kickin a**!!”
- Cher died in January they say. Kim Kardashian was so sad she tweeted, “I hope this is a twitter joke and not true. I don’t see it on the news anywhere. I’m praying its not true…”
With instant communications and social medias, information spreads like wildfire. Glad these, and other rumors, can be just as quickly dispelled.